Have you already busted your budget on houseplants but love the look of ceramic planters? Well, we’ve got an easy solution for you and it’s all about…baking soda. Yup. We are going to show you how to make planters that look ceramic and won’t break the bank.
The great thing about this project is that you can use some old glass or plastic pots you have lying around the house or grab some cheap ones from the craft store. We promise they will cost a lot less than nice ceramic. Also, have some creative freedom with your design. This project looks good “plain” but we are a big fan of the googly eye option.
- Assorted glass or plastic pots
- Multi-surface paints
- Baking soda
- Paint brushes
- Hot glue gun
- Paint cups
- Stirring stick
- Googly eyes (optional)
- Add a design to your pot with a hot glue gun to create the design. We particularly like tilted lines.
- Alternatively, hot glue googly eyes to the pot in an equidistant pattern. HOT TIP: Use scissors to cut off excess glue strings. You definitely do not want those hanging around when you start painting.
- Combine equal parts baking soda and paint in your paint cup.
- Use a stirring stick to combine until fully mixed. It should be textured but not clumpy, if that makes sense??
- Apply a thick coat of paint to your designed pot. We recommend at least two coats to get a full ceramic look.
We think using some blues and greys are perfect for a subtle look but bright colors may also work here. What colors would you use for this project? Tag us in your attempts @craftbusters or using #craftbusters.